Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Comment Box: Closed

When someone finds out that you're having a child, especially your first one, something truly wondrous happens.  It's as if people think there should be some sort of virtual deposit slot in my wife's pregnant belly to insert a note with their thoughts.  Otherwise normally intelligent people turn into silly fools offering useless "child" advice, opinions, or their thoughts on what you should do when raising your child.

Poster-board and a Sharpie says it all


It's not that I mind advice when it's warranted from family and close friends.  In those cases it's even appreciated.  But I actually had someone tell me, while I was brewing my morning K-cup, that I should hope for a girl because boys are difficult to control and are statistically more likely to commit a violent crime (seriously). 

I would like to present exhibit A to rebuff that person's argument:

Ask my mom...
Everyone has their opinion on the specifics of raising a child too.  Everything from "you should definitely use cloth diapers" to "if your kid ends up being hyper-active, you should look into one of those circus schools to help them get their energy out".  I am not making this up...really.

Turning them into a psycho clown is much better
Call it a fringe idea if you want, but if my child is hyperactive I may try something unconventional, like exercise, before shipping them off to Ronald McDonald tryouts.  

Why is it that people can't keep unsolicited advice to themselves?  I realize that I've never raised a child before, but there are some things that my wife and I will figure out for ourselves and make our own decisions about. We will not be taking the advice of someone we barely know in regards to "using unscented garbage bags due to studies showing their chemicals' adverse affects on elementary school children's cognitive development."  Again, I wish I was making this up.


What strange comments or advice did you receive before starting a family?

No comments:

Post a Comment